Thursday, November 4, 2010











My first day off in Japan was in the City of Nagoya. My interpreter for the workshop was my guide this day. Our first stop was Nagoya Castle originally completely in 1616. Most of it was burned down during WWII and was rebuilt. They are still in the process of rebuilding using original methods and materials. You can see the construction around the tiger screens.  The Bonsai trees aren’t trees at all, but chrysanthemums. Fall is the season they celebrate them. Wish I could have been there later to see them blooming.













Our second stop was the Ando Cloisonné exhibition. The shop there was outstanding. Enameling is something I'd like to learn some day.







 






Our next stop was Arimatu Narumi Shibori. The art of tie-dyed cotton cloth is one of Japans oldest forms of industry. Watching the skilled women here in the processes of tying fabric was fascinating. The designs were intricate and beautiful.  Like laces this art was passed down from mother to daughter for generations.




2 comments:

  1. What an incredible cultural visit you had! I suspect it was more than overwhelming at times. I can't imagine teaching tatting through an interpreter. I'm sure you've been enriched far more than you'll ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your posts every day. Thank you for letting us all tag along with you on the fantastic opportunity you had. Karen in OR

    ReplyDelete